Saturday, June 23, 2012

Zongzi


Today's the fifth day of the fifth lunar month, and according to the lunar calendar, today's the day of the Dragon Boat Festival. Even though there's really no dragon boats to see around where I live, my family still celebrates by making zongzi on this day every year.
Zongzi (a.k.a. rice dumplings) have a ton of varieties, from salty to sweet, main course to dessert, the only things they have in common is probably that they're all made of glutinous rice and bamboo leaves. For my family we generally fill it with rice and pork and ham....and that's it. (My brother doesn't like ANY of the other common ingredients in zongzi so my mom doesn't add anything else T.T)


Ingredients:
Bamboo Leaves
Sliced pork bellies (I think...)
Sliced Ham
Glutinous Rice
Soy Sauce
Garlic
Various Seasonings (I really don't know what else mom throws in the rice...)

Other:
2 Pots (one to mix the rice and one to cook the zongzi)
cotton strings
scissors

No comments:

Post a Comment